Dauphin Kings Neepawa Titans Niverville Nighthawks OCN Blizzard Portage Terriers Selkirk Steelers Steinbach Pistons Swan Valley Stampeders Virden Oil Capitals Wayway Wolverines Winkler Flyers Winnipeg Blues Winnipeg Freeze

Pistons Battle Back in 5-4 Shootout Win

The Steinbach Pistons beat the Selkirk Steelers for their 5th win on the season with a 5-4 shootout victory Sunday afternoon.

Selkirk opened the scoring a minute and a half into the game as Deshon Friesen’s shot from the left side boards was tipped by Brandon Ambrozik giving them a 1-0 lead.

Steinbach tied the game up 1-1 on the powerplay just over halfway through the first period as Travis Hensrud redirected Ty Paisley’s shot over Hunter Tarves’ glove.

The game remained 1-1 going into the first intermission with the Pistons outshooting the Steelers 14-11.

Steinbach took their first lead of the game with just over 2-minutes remaining in the second period as Davis Fry gave a beautiful feed to Ty Paisley in front who made no mistake putting it past Tarves.

Lucas Brennan scored a big goal at the 7:51 mark of the third period as he tied the game shorthanded. A turnover at the blueline led to Brennan getting a 2 on 1 who then put it post and in.

Steinbach answered back 30 seconds later on the same powerplay with Spencer Penner redirecting a shot from the point in front making it 3-2.

Selkirk capped off the goal filled minute and a half as Tyson Smith scored on the powerplay off a back door feed from Ty Russell.

Selkirk took their first lead of the game with just under 5-minutes remaining in the period as Matthew Gerke potted the puck off a scramble in front of the net.

Steinbach took a penalty with four and a half minutes left in regulation making the game seem hopeless. Travis Hensrud entered the zone and put a wrist shot on net getting it past Tarves and tying the game up 4-4.

Steinbach took a penalty in OT that again put the Pistons to the test. Steinbach came up big however, killing off the penalty and forcing a shootout.

Lucas Brennan was the first shooter for Selkirk, who put it blocker side and past Cole Plowman. The following four shooters were all turned away, with it all coming down to Davis Fry to continue the shootout. Fry glided in and made a forehand backhand move tucking it under the glove of Tarves to extend the shootout.

The next three shooters all missed giving Hensrud a chance to seal the win and cap off his amazing night. Hensrud came in with some speed and put the puck glove side and in the net to get the 5-4 shootout win.